Yoga is stilling the fluctuations of the mind.
Many people join a yoga class with fitness in mind. Their health care providers suggest a movement therapy to help with joint and muscle aches and pains. With regular practice, these same people come to realize yoga is more than a way to stay fit. The teachings of yoga may become a lifestyle that can improve their overall quality of life.
According to Patanjali’s ancient Yoga Sutras (sutra means weaving together), there is an eight-fold path leading to freedom, known as the Ashtanga Yoga System or 8 Limbs of Yoga (the word ashta means eight and anga means limb). If you would like to read more about the 8 Limbs of Yoga listed below, check out, Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar.
- Yamas Rules of moral code
- Niyamas Rules of personal behavior
- Asana Refers to yoga postures
- Pranayama Yoga breathing exercises to ignite vital life force or prana.
- Pratyahara Withdrawal of the senses.
- Dharana Refers to concentration.
- Dhyana The practice of meditation.
- Samadhi Bliss